We partner with low and moderate income families to help them purchase safe, affordable and energy-efficient houses.
The homes demonstrate our commitment to building in partnership with people in need. Where needed, the homes incorporate basic accessible features, such as wide passage ways or accessible doorways.
- Habitat selects partner families based on income, need, and willingness to partner with us for the construction of their Habitat home.
- Habitat builds or rehabilitates the Habitat home using volunteer labor and donated materials to keep costs low and takes no profit for our services.
- Partner families contribute "sweat equity" - an investment of labor towards the construction of their future home.
- The Habitat home is sold to our partner family with a no-interest, affordable loan. Loan payments do not exceed 30% of their combined household income.
- Payments made by homeowner families are placed in a revolving fund to help Habitat for Humanity serve others in need.
- Must live or work in Chatham County at the time of application submission for at least twelve (12) of the preceding twenty-four (24) months.
- Must be a legal resident of the United States.
- Must demonstrate a need for adequate, decent housing.
- Must demonstrate fiscal readiness by having steady employment, reasonable income, and low debt to qualify.
- Must demonstrate financial need.
- Must be willing to partner with Habitat for Humanity Savannah by participating in a home site visit, by completing sweat equity hours, and by attending homebuyer education courses.
- Must be dismissed (or out) for five years from Chapter 7 or for one year for Chapter 13 bankruptcy.
Click here for additional eligibility criteria.
Habitat Savannah opens the home ownership application process on an as-needed basis as home sites and funds become available.
- The applicant must then complete and submit the application by the deadline.
Begin collecting the following documents that will need to be turned in with your application, for both the applicant and co-applicant:
- Copies of last three months of pay stubs for each applicant
- Copies of the last two years of tax returns & W2s of each applicant
- Copies of the last two months of bank statements of each applicant
- Copies of driver's license or state identification card of each applicant
- Copies of social security card of each family member/resident
- Divorce decree (if applicable)
- Verification of SSI/Disability for all applicable household members
- Verification of Food Stamps or AFDC/TANF (if applicable)
- Court order for Child Support or Alimony income (if applicable)
The Family Selection Committee will review all applications, vetting them according to need, ability to pay, and willingness to partner in order to determine if the family meets the minimum requirements.
If the family meets the requirements, they will then proceed to schedule and attend a financial assessment meeting
Finally, the family will schedule and attend a housing inspection meeting.
If at any time the applicants fails to comply with the process requirements, they will be deselected from the application process and encouraged to reapply at a later date.
The process requires 30 to 90 days and includes application intake, financial review and home visit. Habitat Savannah is a long term housing solution; Partner Families commit 1 to 2 years to the application process.
Habitat Savannah does not discriminate against any applicant because of age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, handicap, familial status, or national origin.